Think Blue

Obsessing over the Dodgers' minor league system so you don't have to.

Monday, January 16, 2006

Grading Colletti

Well I'm 22 today...not really that big a deal. In light of recent events I've decided to evaluate the Dodgers' offseason so flame away.

The Good
It might be just me, but I actually liked the signing of Brett Tomko. Less than $5 million a year for a pitcher whose DIPS was lower than Weaver's last year. And I welcome all Anti-Saber flames. He's an underachiever who's never performed up to what his stuff would indicate he's capable of. The mid 90s fastball and killer slider seem like an arsenal for an ace, but he's been produced pedestrian numbers over the course of his career. Though he's on the wrong side of 30, he'll benefit from a much smaller outfield and a much better outfield defense, though I wouldnt be surprised to see his HR increase given his G:F tendencies. Overall, I think it was not only the Dodgers' best signing, but one of the best signings of the offseason.

Tommy John surgery for a position player is rare, and given the history of position players recovering (Or not) from the procedure, a potential replacement for Izturis had to be found. Enter Rafael Furcal. The contract is bloated, no doubt, but Colletti wasnt working with a small market budget, as had been speculated prior to his plethora of moves. His defense has progressed, the steals have increased and hopefully the DUI's wont show up anymore (Care service provided in his contract?). Of course $13 million a year is too much for a leadoff man, but that aint all he does.

Sanchez for Seo. At first I was angry, since I think Sanchez has a tremendous future ahead of him. But then I remember Seo. I went to a Dodgers/Mets game last year and Seo pitched. Though the lineup Tracy trotted out wasnt exactly murderer's row, Seo completely shut them down. Reports and fans say Seo learned a new pitch in the minors and came back up and dominated. Hopefully Jae will only get hotter.

Going into the offseason there were a handful of prospects I identified as being "untouchable," and after all the activity, they're still here. Chad Billingsley is said to be the prospect Colletti has identified untouchable, Broxton may still win a spot in the pen, and Guzman, LaRoche and Martin are slated to begin the season in Vegas. While there have been casualties, the best of the best passed the test.

The Bad
Now I'm not going to pretend that everything the Dodgers do is right. While I accept the moves, I will critique them for the benefit of my fellow Dodger fans' reading pleasure. The first I have to identify is Bill Mueller. I would be happy with Aybar or Perez at 3B, although Mueller is a better bet to produce offensively. But two years? Why two years? LaRoche could be ready by midseason. Guzman could be ready sooner than that. Clogging the infield with what is, in my opinion, an unnecessary signing makes little sense to me.

Then there's Nomar, who I actually like. I've always been a fan of his. But in the spirit of objectivity, I have to question the signing. Not because of his injury history or his ability to hit, but because of his position. If he was playing 3B or LF, I'd be fine. But I am a Choi believer and wish he could've gotten some real playing time this season. He still could, with Nomar's likely trip to the DL. Nevertheless, I hope Nomar does well.

Holy shit, Bynum just faked Shaq outta his shoes and threw it down. WOW! Actually, that belongs under "The Good."

Back to Baseball. Colletti seems intent on getting players playing time in Vegas. The rotation is set, so Billingsley's on his way to Triple A. Guzy, Roche and Russ Martin are headed that way too. Broxton may get a shot in ST but will most likely join the other in Nevada. If the park didnt favor hitters so much, it wouldnt be a problem. They really need to move their Triple A affiliate to somewhere that at least moderately replicates the conditions of Dodger Stadium.

The Ugly
The Baez trade. This was Ned's big SNAFU. I'm sorry, but you don't trade strong pitching prospects for a reliever who could be lured away to free agency the following offseason. I'd rather overpay Gagne to make sure he ends his career as a Dodger (And if you remember my username on scout.com you probably understand why). While Edwin Jackson has floundered over the past few years, he's still 22, he still throws in the mid 90s and he still has promise due to the messed up situations he's been placed in. It started with that moron Tracy annointing him as having the 5th starter's job to lose. Joe Thurston, anyone? And while Chuck Tiffany is an extreme flyball pitcher, his K/9 is pretty impressive for someone who's billed as a finesse lefty. Lance Carter is absolute trash. Dont give me the All Star BS. LoDuca over Beltre? I rest my case.

Overall, despite the amount of moves, I really dont see this team being much better than DePo's 2005 machination. Health is the key; the return of Gagne, the amount of games missed by Drew, the continued success of Jeff "Ageless Wonder" Kent. The dismissal of DePodesta was pointless, especially since after this offseason the team comes out looking quite similar.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:44 PM , Blogger Jared said...

    Regarding Perez, his defense improved as the year wore on and his zone rating was well above average for a ML 3B. His versatility and offense made him a valuable asset on the bench.

    Regarding Carter, the comparison between him and Sanchez isnt very accurate. Carter is 5 years older, averages almost 2 less K/9 over his career and is an extreme flyball pitcher whereas Sanchez is a strong groundball pitcher. Carter also gives up far too many HR. His only positive trait is his control, though he doesnt have dominant stuff so he's prone to giving up XBH's (22 in 57 IP last year).

    I encourage disagreement; it sparks discussion. Thanks for keeping it amiable and for reading my blog.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home